Hey there! In this post I’m gonna show you how to build a website with WordPress!
So who am I? I’m Shannon Mattern, and you can think of me as your WordPress BFF! Before we dive in, I want to make sure you take advantage of a special offer I have on you for web hosting!
When you use my affiliate link* you can get hosting with Bluehost* for as low as $2.95 a month! Crazy, right? Just click the button below to get your hands on it!
I’ve shown thousands of bloggers, creative entrepreneurs and coaches how to build a website with WordPress, get more traffic and get more customers – while keeping it super simple and providing support all along the way.
This article will get you started with setting up your domain and hosting*, and give you all of the steps for building your self-hosted WordPress site (it’s easier than you think)!
And if you want step by step video training to walk you through these steps, then just click here to get free access the 5 Day Website Challenge and I’ll walk you through it all!
So if you’re thinking, yeah, there’s no way I’m techie enough for this… then this training is made for you! Just ask Jill!
Step 1: GET an address and a place to live
I use and recommend Bluehost* for both your domain and hosting for a few reasons: one, they make it super-easy to set up and manage your website. Once you create your account, WordPress is installed automagically (yes, that’s a word!)
And they’ve got a special offer just for my BFFs (that’s you!)
You get a free domain name and hosting for just $2.95 when you choose a 3-year renewal plan (that’s about $106), or if you’re not ready to commit to a full 3 years, you can buy just one year for $60.
Seriously??? That’s a sweet deal – and to top it off, there’s a 30-day money back guarantee.
But most of all, the Bluehost* team is amazing! I visited them at their HQ in Austin, TX, we had a blast! They came to a conference where I was speaking and cheered me on! They’re not just another hosting company, they truly want to see us succeed! And that’s why Bluehost* is my Hosting BFF!!
here’s how to set up your website with Bluehost*
Psst… if you want a video tutorial showing you step-by-step how to do this part, sign up to get free access to my 5 Day Website Challenge. More on that later.
And if you get stuck on any of these steps, just email me and I’ll help you out!
First, choose your plan.
- Go to www.wp-bff.com/bluehost and click on the green “Get Started Now” button.
2. Choose the BASIC plan (it’s really all you need to get started, you can upgrade later as you grow)!
3. Enter your domain name. If you already have one that you bought from someone else, enter it on the right, otherwise, enter the one you want in the box on the left. It comes free with hosting (unless it’s a premium name, which you’ll find out on the next page).
4. Enter your name and address info, then choose how long of a package you want and your options. The longer of a term you do, the more money you’ll save over time. But if you’re really on a shoestring budget you can change your term to 12 months and uncheck all the other options, and you’ll end up with a total under $75 for your website.
If you don’t get domain privacy protection, for the first few weeks after you buy your domain you’re gonna get people calling you and emailing you about building your website for you. If that weirds you out, it might be worth it for you to buy the protection. I’m just like “New phone, who dis?”
CREATE YOUR ACCOUNT & INSTALL WORDPRESS
After you pay, you’ll be prompted to create a username and password for your account. WordPress will automatically begin installing on your account and voila’! Now you have a self-hosted WordPress website!!
STEP 2: Join the 5 Day WEBSITE CHALLENGE FOR FREE!
The 5 Day Website Challenge is a series of short video modules dripped out over 5 days where I lead you step-by-step through building your entire WordPress site.
No step is left out – and there’s a Facebook Group where you can ask questions and get help if you get stuck.
Over 6,000 people have taken the 5 Day Website Challenge – here’s what just a few of them had to say:
Here’s what you’ll do inside of the 5 Day Website Challenge
- Get a domain & hosting and install WordPress
- Customize the right settings in the WordPress dashboard (and which ones to skip)
- Choose the right theme for their website.
- Install the right plugins (and what settings to pay attention to in those plugins, but more importantly what you can ignore!)
- Set up an email list and connecting it with website so that your visitors can subscribe and find out when you have new content and special offers.
- Create your own logos and graphics, and selecting the right fonts and colors
- Set up your blog, add content to your pages, learn basic SEO tactics and publish your site!
What are you waiting for?? Join today!
*Some of the links on this page are affiliate links, which means I receive a commission when you make a purchase via my link. I only recommend products and services I’ve spent my own money on and love, and you pay the same (or less when I’ve negotiated a discounted rate for my referrals) whether you use my affiliate link or not, and the commissions I earn from your purchases help me to keep the 5 Day Website Challenge free. So thanks in advance for your support!