LEARN HOW TO BUILD A WEBSITE in under an Hour.
Yep, you read that right! You really can build a website or start a blog in less than an hour and for less than the cost of one Starbucks a month*!
I’m Shannon Mattern, and you can think of me as your WordPress BFF. I’ve shown thousands of bloggers, creative entrepreneurs and coaches how to leverage the power WordPress to build their audiences and turn their expertise into income – while keeping it super simple. No coding, no tech talk, and no stupid questions.
This article will get you started with setting up your domain and hosting*, and then later I’ll share with you how you can get access to free, step by step video training to show you exactly what to do next.
First, your website needs an address, and a place to live.
I use and recommend Bluehost* for a few reasons: one, they make it super-easy to set up and manage your website.
Two, their price is amazing compared to other WordPress hosting companies. It’s just $2.95/month for your domain and hosting when you choose a 3-year renewal plan (that’s about $106), or if you’re not ready to commit to a full 3 years, you can buy just one year for $60.
Seriously??? That’s a sweet deal – and to top it off, they have a 30-day money back guarantee.
But most of all, Bluehost* doesn’t pull the kind of crap I’ve seen so many of my customers and clients have to deal with from other web hosting companies. Like having their website shut down for getting too many visitors (um, really?? Isn’t that the point)? Or threatening to shut them down unless they paid for a malware monitoring service. (Sounds a little Soprano-ish to me…)
That’s why Bluehost* is my Hosting BFF!!
So here’s how to set up your website with Bluehost*
Psst… if you want a video tutorial showing you step-by-step how to do this part, sign up for my Free 5 Day Website Challenge. More on that later.
And if you get stuck on any of these steps, just email me and I’ll help you out!
First, choose your plan.
- Go to www.wp-bff.com/bluehost and click on the green “Get Started Now” button.
2. Choose the BASIC plan (it’s really all you need to get started, you can upgrade later as you grow)!
3. Enter your domain name. If you already have one that you bought from someone else, enter it on the right, otherwise, enter the one you want in the box on the left. It comes free with hosting (unless it’s a premium name, which you’ll find out on the next page).
4. Enter your name and address info, then choose how long of a package you want and your options. The longer of a term you do, the more money you’ll save over time. But if you’re really on a shoestring budget you can change your term to 12 months and uncheck all the other options, and you’ll end up with a total under $75 for your website.
If you don’t get domain privacy protection, for the first few weeks after you buy your domain you’re gonna get people calling you and emailing you about building your website for you. If that weirds you out, it might be worth it for you to buy the protection. I’m just like “New phone, who dis?”
CREATE YOUR ACCOUNT & INSTALL WORDPRESS
After you pay, you’ll be prompted to create a username and password for your account. It used to be that after that, you’d have to do a few things to install WordPress, but Bluehost made this even easier! After you create your password WordPress will automatically begin installing on your account and voila’! Now you have a self-hosted WordPress website!!
Now that you have a WordPress site, I want to show you how to use it and set it up the RIGHT way. I’m like a triple threat – I’m a WordPress expert, a blogger and a side-hustler gone serious who knows what it takes to build a successful business online.
if you want someone to lead you step-by-step through building an entire website from start to finish, then I invite you to join over 5,000 people taking the Free 5 Day Website Challenge, an free video training series that will break it all down for you, including:
- Setting up your website and installing WordPress
- Choosing a theme and installing the right plugins
- Setting up your email list and putting an optin on your website
- Creating logos and graphics, and selecting the right fonts and colors
- How to create a blog, adding content to your pages, SEO and more!
*Some of the links on this page are affiliate links, which means I receive a commission when you make a purchase via my link. I only recommend products and services I’ve spent my own money on and love, and you pay the same (or less when I’ve negotiated a discounted rate for my referrals) whether you use my affiliate link or not, and the commissions I earn from your purchases help me to keep the 5 Day Website Challenge free. So thanks in advance for your support!